Monday, February 11, 2013

Mardi Gras - Bake A King Cake


Today, my girls and I decided to bake a king cake in anticipation of Mardi Gras.  It was a great time baking with the kiddos and a wonderful opportunity to connect the history of the king cake to Epiphany.  To read more about the story behind the King Cake click here.
I read all about making a king cake  - it's basically a cinnamon pastry that is baked in a ring and a baby is hidden in the cake.  It is iced with a glaze and topped with sugar colored the colors of Mardi Gras - purple gold and green.
We did our own version - Here is what you need
2 cans of cinnamon rolls with icing.
1 bundt pan
green, purple, and gold colored sugar
1 little baby for hiding in the cake

That's it!
My girls made the cinnamon rolls connect into a ring and we baked our cake in a bundt pan.

 I turned it out onto our cake plate.

 They iced it with the glace that came with the rolls and we sprinkled them with the Mardi Gras colors.

 It was so easy -  they were able to do this without much help from me, and it looks great.
The last step was hiding the baby in the cake - which we did by making a tiny cut near the bottom of the cake and my big girl popped it in. 
She will take this cake to school with her tomorrow to share with her friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment