Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Are You on a Mission?


This year, my family is on a mission. A mission to create peace. We have to, it is our mission statement. Do you have one? Well, get one. They are awesome. At first I doubted, The hubs and I really aren't great at the follow through of these big ideas I get. I say "I" because truly I am the one who thinks up these things, and my dear sweet husband goes along with them, whether he wants to or not. ANYWAY, this one, he got on board with. We got the idea from a blog I read. We began formulating a vision for what we want our family to be about. We honestly came up with one word Peace . Out of that came a long, long list of character traits we wanted to instill in our children, then ideas of what our family would look like, and a list of values. What we ended up with was nearly a page of ideals that honestly, we couldn't even remember, much less find a way to incorporate into our daily lives. After the grand presentation of the finished product to my husband, he sat - dazed, eyes half crossed, and said..."I think we should cut it down a bit" He was being kind.
But we did do some "cutting and refining" and came up with this:

Our mission is to create peace by growing in our relationship with our Heavenly Father, being good stewards of our time,our money, our health and our earth and to practice loving, listening,forgiving, and laughing.

It's still a work in progress. A daily work in progress. It will evolve as our family dynamic changes, but the heart of it will always stay the same. We've all seen that cliche "No Christ No Peace, Know Christ Know Peace" - that's the goal, and so far it has served as a guide as we choose commitments, and as we make decisions about how to spend our family time.

There will be more on this journey along with pointers on how to develop your own mission statement. I am learning, and maybe I can share what I learn with you.


photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment