Sunday, February 27, 2011

Green with Envy Part 2


Baking Soda - It's not just for Baking
A few weeks ago I introduced you to my journey toward more natural living. I have really high ambitions, but am completely satisfied with taking baby steps toward a more earth, family, health friendly lifestyle. So today I thought I would pick a product and tell you the many things I use it for. So I started with my favorite. Baking Soda. This blog will be a multi part blog because I use baking soda for many things, but today I am sharing my house hold uses for it, I will post the health uses another day - when the "Green blogging" mood hits me. Where was I? Oh yes, home uses for baking soda. I will list - it's easier to follow.


  1. Place a teaspoon in a vase to make cut flowers last longer.

  2. Spread some on the windshield of your car to repel rain.

  3. After feeding your baby, wipe his shirt with a moist cloth sprinkled with baking soda to remove the odor.

  4. Soak dishrags in baking soda and water to remove the smell.

  5. Sprinkle along window seals and in basements to repel cockroaches and ants.

  6. Scatter it along your flower beds and gardens to keep rabbits from eating your flowers and vegetables.

  7. Sprinkle anywhere you want to absorb odor - shoes, slippers, garbage cans, diaper pails, litter boxes... you get the picture.

  8. Wash your fruits and vegetables with it.

  9. Soak 1 cup in your toilet for an hour before flushing, it will clean and deodorize your toilet bowl.

  10. Use it to scrub sinks, porcelain and plastic tubs.

  11. Sprinkle on couches, carpets, or any upholstry and let it sit an hour or overnight before vacuuming for a home made dry cleaning option.

  12. Combine with water to make a paste to polish stainless steel... I learned this from my many many many restaurant days.

  13. Scatter it on your garage floor, scrub, then rinse to cut the grease and oil spills in your garage.

  14. 1/4 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp. baking soda and 1/4 gallon of hot water make a great all purpose cleaner for the home. A few drops of essential oil - I like lemon or orange to give that clean smell in your home.

  15. Flush 4 tbsp with hot water down your drains weekly to clean your drains.

  16. Make a thick paste of baking soda and water to scrub your enameled cast iron pots and stainless steel pots and pans clean.

  17. Make a paste to and rub into clothes to remove grease spots.

  18. Run your coffee maker with a baking soda solution to clean then rinse.

  19. Combine 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup water to clean your oven.

Image Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment