Monday, February 7, 2011

I am Green with Envy over people who are Green

Yes, I admit, I have a hippie heart. I cannot help it. So from here on out I am going to start posting some of my efforts to live simpler and greener, by taking steps to live a more natural life. I am not extreme( I don't think) and to meet me, you wouldn't think oooohhh "that girl is too much" I don't wear Birkenstocks ( mainly because I am really cheap - although I don't scrimp on shoes - but that is another post). Anyway, I do shave my legs etc, I don't drive a Prius, and although I really do love the Greateful Dead, I also branch out into other music. (However, I am a fan for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones). So where was I? Oh yes, my green efforts. Ok so I am naming the posts that will have to do with my green journey "Green with Envy" and I will take you on a journey with me as I attempt to achieve a new level of green :) Just call me the Grinch, or Kermit, or well heck, call me a hippie, I don't care.
Today I am starting simple. We don't use paper plates. There, I said it. We don't use paper plates (said it again). It is a commitment we made a few years ago when our church was doing a sermon series entitled "Managing Life" there was a sermon entitled "Managing Creation." From that point on my prince and I made a commitment to stop using paper plates. We have always eaten dinner on real plates but there were times when paper comes in quite handy. Like with little ones, and picnic in the back yard, Saturday morning muffins, stuff like that. Even though they come in extremely handy, we decided to "just say no" to paper. And you know what? We survived. We are still paper plate free, and loving it. I am proud of that commitment. It is a small step, but as you will see it lead to bigger things, and for that I am proud of that small accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment